Mouse and Keyboard

Human Resources and Payroll


Char Horsfall

Position title: Asst Department Administrator


Phone: 608-265.9814

Beatriz Lemire

Position title: Human Resources Representative


Phone: 608.890.0298

Marc Willadsen

Position title: Payroll & Benefits Specialist


Phone: 608-265-9227

Human Resources Information

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Hiring Timelines

  • Academic Staff: 1-2 months
  • University Staff: 2 months
  • Post-degree-completion employees: 1 month
  • Student Hourly: 1-2 weeks

Hiring Timelines - Visas

  • J-1 (Research Associates and Research Interns): 2-4 months
  • H1-B (Academic Staff and Faculty): 4-6 months

Employee Assistance Program

The Employee Assistance Office has a comprehensive range of resources to assist employees with personal or work-related difficulties that may seriously affect an employee’s life.

Ombuds Office for Faculty & Staff

The Ombuds Program serves as an informal, impartial, confidential, and independent resource for faculty and staff at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. An ombuds will listen to your concerns, clarify procedures, discuss options, and, if requested and appropriate, serve as an intermediary in attempting to resolve disputes.

Department of Chemistry Parental Leave Policy

The Department of Chemistry Parental Leave Policy, for graduate students and postdoctoral associates, is intended to ensure a safe environment and appropriate accomodations for expectant, new, and adoptive parents.

Office of Child Care and Family Resources

The Office of Child Care and Family Resources serves as a gateway to family resources on campus and in Madison. Student parents are eligible to apply for child care financial assistance through the CCTAP program administered by OCCFR.

Division of Student Life Resources

The Division of Student Life and the Dean on Call are available to help students, staff, and faculty members with issues concerning student safety and well-being.

Information for International Students & Staff

All foreign national employees receiving funds through UW-Madison payroll must provide their visa/immigration history through Glacier. Following their entry into Glacier, international students and staff must deliver all Glacier-generated reports and tax treaty forms, along with their immigration document photocopies, to their payroll person, who is identified by Glacier. Employees can request a Glacier account by sending an email to the Service Center at This email should include your full legal name, date of birth, and email address. In your email, please also indicate whether you’re paid monthly or biweekly. For more information, please visit the International Student Services (ISS) website.

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What is Glacier?

UW-Madison uses Glacier to ensure that we are taxing foreign nationals correctly. More information on Glacier and instructions on how to use it are available here.

F-1, J-1, and other status end date changes

If you are in the U.S. on F-1 status, you need to speak with International Student Services (ISS). If you are here on F-1 OPT, you will need to contact your sponsoring institution.

Contact Beatriz Lemire for all other immigration status inquiries, including H-1B and J-1 Scholar status.

After you receive an extension, please schedule a time to bring your new documents to your HR person Beatriz Lemire (staff and postdocs) or Marc Willadsen (graduate students) in the Chemistry Business Office so that we can update your I-9 Employment verification. If you hold a paid position, you will also need to update your Glacier account.

Hours limit for international student employees

International students may only work 20 hours per week while classes are in session. During breaks (summer, spring break, holiday break) international students may work more than 40 hours.